Monday, June 9, 2008

Pursuing the Road Before Me

Okay, inaugural post! Here goes...

I suppose it's rather typical of me that I'm writing this at 2:00 AM, the night before I leave. I don't know when I'll have time again on the road this week to get to a computer, so I thought "Why not type instead of packing?" Maybe not the smartest plan...

Anyway....The purpose of this blog is to keep my friends and family involved with what I'm doing in the Czech Republic this summer. From June 12-August 12, I will be serving as an intern with World Harvest Mission in Prague, working with full-time missionaries alongside a team of five other summer interns. I will try to post updates, prayer requests, and pictures from my life abroad as often as I can, and if I happen to like the whole blogging thing, perhaps I'll even keep it up after the summer.

The title of my blog comes from Isaiah 52:7, one of my favorite Bible verses:

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”'

I always think of this verse when I see the scene in Return of the King, where the beacons are being lit across the mountains. That's a beautiful visual to me of the spread of the gospel, as is this scripture.

So, back to last minute packing. I leave tomorrow with my family, drive 10 hours to New Jersey, take the train to NYC where I will spend all day Tuesday, my family leaves me in Pennsylvania Wednesday morning, orientation begins in Philidelphia on Thursday, and we fly out to Prague on Friday. What a week it will be!

Tolkien says it best:
"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet


Until it joins some larger way


Where many paths and errands meet.
And wither then? I cannot say."

No comments: