Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th on the 5th!

So, since July 4th is just another day here, we decided to celebrate spend the night cruising down the river on a large boat. Prague at night looks like something straight out of a charming European fairy tale. The boat was ridiculously crowded and loud, but it was a fun, crazy, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Today was absolutely delightful. Lots of people from our church came over for a big 4th of July cookout at the Stewarts. Here's my confession for the day: I gave in to utter gluttony...who can resist an abundant spread of delicious American food? The other two female interns and I got there about two hours early to help prepare food, which we really enjoyed doing (my primary contributions were Peach Shortbread, forming a mountain of hamburger patties for an hour, and some badly chopped cabbage...my culinary skills need some work). We had hamburgers, hot dogs, pork barbecue (which I can more fully appreciate after toting the actual pork shoulder through the streets of Prague), coleslaw, and fresh peach shortbread....YUM. Did I mention that Joanna baked all of the hot dog and hamburger buns from scratch? It was the most impressive thing I've ever seen, or tasted for that matter. The whole cookout lasted from about 2:00 to 8:00...time flies when you're spending an afternoon with wonderful people and eating amazing food.

Several people at the cookout today asked me how my time had been here....and all I could say was that I couldn't believe how little time I have left. Everything is speeding by in a beautiful blur of challenge, adventure, and joy. I'm trying to soak it all in the best I know how. I'm growing and changing every minute, learning something in every new day, loving this place and these people in increasing measure with every passing hour.

For those of you who pray....Pray that our whole intern team would continue to meet new people, and to have quality time to invest in the relationships we have begun here. Also, pray that I would continue to have my eyes opened to see God's direction for the next step in my life after this summer, particularly as it relates to being on the mission field. I am continually realizing how much I need to surrender all my best laid plans for my future. I've never planned any of the best things that have happened in my life.....I have a feeling that's never going to change. This summer is challenging all my preconceived notions and fears about my life and my calling, and I've never been so thankful to have the narrow walls of my heart and mind exploded and transformed.


1 comment:

racherie said...

I was pretty gluttonous on the fourth also... seriously. who can resist some delicious homemade burgers? mmmmmmmm :)