Thursday, July 10, 2008

Substantial Grace

Tuesday was one of those days you are sure you'll laugh about later, but in the moment, laughter is furthest thing from your mind. I think it was the closest the group has come to a public emotional breakdown since we've gotten to Prague. To make a long story short, what we thought would be a simple trip to buy bus tickets turned into a several hour ordeal of being snubbed by various rude employees, waiting for half an hour in several wrong lines, and traveling to multiple ticket offices around the city, only to find that bus tickets to Vienna were sold out (that is, according to employees who don't want to bother with the hassle of working with someone who speaks English). Czech customer service can sometimes be culture clash at its worst. Train tickets were possible, though very expensive, and for a while, it looked like about only half the team could afford to go. Thinking about money is so stressful, and the combination of everyone being sick and sleep deprived served to escalate the emotions of the day. I was overwhelmed, but my day was redeemed when I spent some time alone up on the Stewarts' rooftop, finally taking a moment to breathe and allow the peace of God to wash over me.
I wish I could give you a panoramic view of what I saw up there, but this one angle is the best I can do.













The story does have a happy ending....the interns took Mark with us the next day, and after another hour long wait, we finally got bus tickets to Vienna! Five interns are headed out at 8:00 Friday morning, and we're coming back 8:00 Sunday morning.

Wednesday morning, I worked at Nadeje.....this time, a homeless man came up to me and said in broken English, "You are an angel, and when you die, I want you to go to God for me and tell him I did only good things." After thanking him as I told him I wasn't an angel, I asked him if He believed in God. When he replied yes, I explained, "I can't tell God that you did only good things. Only Jesus can take away the sins from your life." He sighed wistfully, "I know this Jesus, yes. I know Him in my head, but my heart, it is cold. I wish I could know with my heart." I said, "I will pray for your heart. God loves you, He really does." A smile broke across his face as he said "You are an angel, in secret. A hidden angel. God sent you to tell me He loves me."

Today I wondered alone around Prague most of the day. I tripped up two seperate staircases (completely fell all over the stairs in the midst of a multitude of people), slipped and fell as I walked in a store, and almost got hit by a tram...twice. Who made up that myth that dancers are graceful? This is why I shouldn't be let out alone too often.
In the midst of my wonderings, I went to several coffeeshops to read, and discovered my new favorite quote painted on a wall.

Maybe my amount of coffee today was a bit too substantial.... hmm





Prayer needs: Our trip to Vienna, that it will be a much-needed time of rest and relaxation... our physical health, that we will be well by the time we start teaching Vacation Bible School next week.....our team unity, as week four is known as the breaking point, where interns become quick to see the faults of others while overlooking our own, now that our "honeymoon" period here is over. Pray that we will be unified and show one another grace.... quick to listen, and slow to speak....quick to love, and slow to judge in anger.

1 comment:

Emerly Sue said...

Your story about the homeless man gave me goosebumps. Keep loving people, Kristi, and keep telling them truth.